Our goal is to ensure that our product and service is the benchmark by which the competition is measured.
Based in South Australia, REDARC has 40 years’ experience in the research, design, development and manufacture of electronic voltage converters and associated products, inverters, power supplies, battery chargers, brake controllers and trailer braking products.
In 2015, REDARC acquired Hummingbird Electronics. Hummingbird is renowned for their bespoke product development, unparalleled specialist knowledge and importantly for quality customer service. REDARC and Hummingbird are highly complementary with comprehensive product portfolios, industry-leading technological and innovative excellence together with outstanding staff.
Hummingbird brought new capabilities to the business, becoming REDARC's specialised sensing, measuring, and monitoring brand.
In 2019, REDARC celebrated its 40-year anniversary and launched REDARC Defence Systems.
REDARC Electronics was founded in August of 1979 by electronics engineer, Robin (Bob) William Mackie in South Australia. Bob started the business by designing and manufacturing vehicle ignition systems. In fact, the name REDARC is believed to have come from the spark developed in the first ignition system having a “red arc”.
In 1997, Anthony and Michele Kittel along with Michele’s Father, Denis Brion, purchased the business following the premature death of Bob Mackie.
Denis Brion then retired in 2002 and Anthony and Michele purchased 100% of the business.
Becoming a world-class manufacturer
Under the current ownership, REDARC has grown from these humble beginnings to become a world-class, advanced electronics manufacturer - servicing both domestic and international markets.
What makes REDARC different?
- 250 years of combined experience in our engineering department
- A purpose-built design and manufacturing facility
- A hand-picked production team
- The capability to conceptualize, design, test and manufacture a range of industry leading products, to suit all vehicles (from recreational to commercial and industrial).
- Manufactured in Australia to the highest standards
- Significant investments into research, development, staff development and training
To view our Corporate Brochure, click here.
Recognition and growth
- REDARC announced as the Telstra Australian Business of the Year.
- REDARC acquired Hummingbird Electronics
- Became member of Specialty Equipment and Market Association (SEMA)
- Launched a new website for the North American market
- REDARC named a 2017 Global Media Award Winner at the SEMA Show
- Became a supplier for the National Association of Trailer Manufacturers (NATM)
- Became a member of the Recreational Vehicle Dealers Association (RVDA)
- REDARC established its modern NSW branch at the Aerospace Centre in Williamtown.
- REDARC signed etrailer.com as its first North American distributor
- REDARC named a 2018 Global Media Award Winner at the SEMA Show
- REDARC signs new North American distributor Keystone Automotive Operations
- REDARC joins Peak North American RV Industry Body (RVIA)
- Major $22 million expansion of REDARC’s South Australian facility.
- REDARC signs North American distributor Transamerican Auto Parts (TAP)
- REDARC launched REDARC Defence Systems to advance the group's defence portfolio in Australia and globally and celebrated its 40th year in Australian manufacturing.
- REDARC launches RedVision into North America
- REDARC awarded Global Supply Chain Integration of the Year at the Manufacturers' Monthly Endeavour Awards.
- REDARC named the Manufacturers' Monthly Exporter of the Year.
- REDARC partnered with the Australian Made Campaign.
- REDARC opened its Victorian branch at the Auto Innovation Centre in Mulgrave, Melbourne, signalling a new era in the company's national expansion.
REDARC Group today
Today REDARC Group (REDARC) includes REDARC Electronics, Hummingbird Electronics and REDARC Defence & Space Systems, operating in a state of the art advanced manufacturing facility and employes over 350 people based across Australia, New Zealand, North America and Europe. Together the Group brings over 40 years' experience in advanced electronic design and manufacturing for defence, automotive, marine, medical, mining, and industrial applications.
The head office is based in South Australia, at REDARC's advanced manufacturing facility with branch offices in New South Wales and Victoria. The Group is fully integrated and shares the in-house recourses including the advanced manufacturing and testing facilities. REDARC take their domestically proven products into international markets across the globe.
Tour the REDARC facility
Over 100 specialist jobs will be created in Adelaide’s southern suburbs during the next five years, following the opening of REDARC’s expanded headquarters at Lonsdale on 30th November 2018.
The expansion of REDARC’s Lonsdale facility has added 3,000sqm of advanced manufacturing space. The $22 million development will enable REDARC to increase its manufacturing capacity by a staggering 250% and significantly increase productivity. The additional space now houses state of the art equipment such as a new Surface Mount Technology line for loading electronic components, an Electromagnetic Compatibility chamber and a Vibration test lab that enables highly accelerated lifetime testing of products that can simulate 10 years of life in just two days. Three new Universal Collaborative Robots ‘Cobots’ have also been purchased.
During the last year, REDARC has also installed a 100kw solar power plant on the roof of its Lonsdale plant and a Tesla Battery bank. This involved the installation of 370 solar panels capable of generating 140 megawatt hours of energy per year.
REDARC has been able to “buck the trend” against the offshoring of manufacturing in Australia through a program of significant reinvestment into research & development, staff development and training.